Data Engineering Manager - Data Platform (San Francisco)
, showing a continued thirst for new data-driven approaches to treating disease.
Our team is reinventing how medical research happens with data and technology. This is a company built by and for people who are looking to get out of their comfort zone and try new things, who want to learn and grow quickly, and who seek to be part of a mission-driven team committed to improving patient lives. Our headquarters are located in San Francisco and we have additional offices in Knoxville, TN and New York City with employees working remotely in NC, NJ, FL, WA, MA, WI, VA, PA, and TX.
The data engineering (DE) team is looking for a Data Engineering Manager to lead a team of engineers, designing and developing data pipelines using the latest big data technologies. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in managing a group of world class data engineers, showing demonstrated growth in their career development, as well as the mentorship/growth and performance management of direct and indirect reports. This person will have excellent skills in designing and developing scalable solutions for data pipelines, including data infrastructure and data systems. A key component of this role is working in a product driven organization, understanding prioritization and strategic product direction, identifying components of the pipeline that are amenable to scaling.
This is an opportunity to join a growing company, and be a part of a team of colleagues accomplished in diverse engineering disciplines; focused on using the best of what lies at the forefront of technology and skills to address complex, real-world problems in the healthcare and life science space. Some of the tools we use are: Python, Spark, AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Postgres, Git, Airflow, Jupyter.
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of Data Engineers.
- Responsible for delivering projects required for improving the data infrastructure, data systems and tools that are used in our data processing pipelines.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to successfully deliver projects that further our tech stack and our systems.
- Responsible for the development of automation across our tech stack to make our company scalable.
- Design and develop processes for data pipelines using the latest technologies.
- Establish a collaborative and innovative team work environment that fosters autonomy, transparency, high degree of craftsmanship and personal growth.
- Drive data quality across our data pipelines, and implement system controls for managing data quality.
- Performing code reviews and providing critical suggestions for fixes and improvements.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related degrees.
- Experience in the healthcare / life sciences industry.
- 2+ years of hands-on management experience of a team of engineers.
- 5+ years of relevant experience with data engineering, having experience with a Cloud provider (preferably AWS) & Big Data architecture.
- Skills like data pipelines, ETL, data warehousing, workflow systems, etc. Big data technologies like Spark, AWS Redshift, Hadoop, etc.
- Experience developing people and teams through coaching, mentoring, and feedback.
- Experience building cross-functional relationships and working with other teams to deliver projects.
- Very good communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Ability to work as part of a collaborative team in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- DevSecOps experience in a cloud environment.
- Experience in fast paced startup environment.
- Experience with machine learning and statistics.
Verana Health values our employees well-being and happiness. We provide fully covered health, vision and dental for employees, Flexible vacation plans, learning and development allowances, a generous parental leave policy, 401K and commuter benefits.