It has been an amazing year at Verana Health. We are at an inflection point in digital health, supporting patient care and research by extracting quality insights from curated, de-identified real-world healthcare data. Today, our population health data engine, VeraQ®, is integrating and curating data at scale from more than 70 de-identified electronic health record (EHR) systems and more than 20,000 contributing providers across approximately 10 years of longitudinal data from more than 500 million patient visits. Looking back at 2022, we’ve been presented with many opportunities to share our perspective on elevating quality data as we strive to be an essential collaborator to researchers and clinicians to advance therapeutic innovations and improve patient outcomes. The following is a roundup of news and company highlights that demonstrate the growing recognition of Verana Health’s role in generating quality, curated real-world data (RWD) that has the potential to support the drug development lifecycle and improve patient care.
Verana Health continued to build momentum through investment
We are working diligently to deliver value by driving major improvements to the speed and efficacy of healthcare research and resulting treatments across the three therapeutic areas we serve – ophthalmology, neurology and urology. We kicked off the year with a $150 million Series E funding to help us to advance our life sciences product and service strategy across the drug lifecycle, further enhance our value proposition to healthcare providers participating in our RWD network, and expand our data footprint through medical society and strategic partnerships. Our CEO, Sujay Jadhav, shared details in interviews with TechCrunch and Drug Discovery and Development, plus the news was featured in Axios, FierceBiotech, MedCity News, Digital Health Business and Technology, STAT’s Health Tech Newsletter and Mergermarket, among the approximately 50 media hits about the Series E funding round.
Our team contributed expertise and insights
Our team was tapped by a wide range of news and industry media for its expertise on deriving insights and value from clinical data. At the annual HIMSS conference, Sujay spoke with HIMSS TV about how we curate massive volumes of de-identified EHR data, merge it with other data sets, such as claims and diagnostic imaging data, and provide real-world evidence (RWE) and insights. He also joined The Harry Glorikian Show podcast to discuss how Verana Health ingests, curates and analyzes data to help clinicians who want to increase the quality of care they’re providing, and for life sciences companies measuring the effectiveness of their drugs and seeking more efficient ways to identify patients for clinical trials.
In addition, you can read Sujay’s article, A Real-world Approach for Bridging Diversity Disparities in Clinical Trials, in Drug Discovery & Development and his point of view on advancing pharmaceutical research in CPHI Online, The Data Revolution: How Real-World Evidence is Changing Pharma. If you’d like to take a deeper dive into the benefits of combining EHR and claims data, read our blog post about our recent white paper on this subject.
Elevating quality in curated real-world data
Verana Health’s ability to contribute to important research through its disease-specific, fit-for-purpose Qdata® modules was highlighted in several media outlets.
In the specialties of ophthalmology and ocular surgery, Ophthalmology Times published the article, Exploring Ancillary Resting Orders by Retinal Specialists According to the IRIS Registry. Research presented at the American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS) was spotlighted by EyeWire in Verana Health Presents Geographic Atrophy and Diabetic Macular Edema Research at ASRS 2022 and by Ophthalmology Management in Quick Notes: July 22, 2022. Ocular Surgery News reported on important research for macular degeneration in VIDEO: IRIS Registry, Clinical Trial Data Used to Emulate Control Arm for Wet AMD Study.
Verana Health contributed to several conferences in 2022 that were highlighted in key publications. Bio-IT World published Verana Health to Highlight the Value of Curated Real-World Data at the American College of Epidemiology 2022 Annual Meeting. BioSpace featured us in Verana Health to Present Abstract at American Statistical Association’s Biopharmaceutical Section Regulatory-Industry Statistics Workshop.
New Qdata modules launched in ophthalmology, neurology and urology
In 2022, Verana Health continued its commitment to expanding our RWD offerings with new Qdata modules:
- Ophthalmology: Our blog highlights the launch of the Qdata Glaucoma module at the American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, enabling research into minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) and other glaucoma treatment patterns and outcomes. Making RWE usable is critical to glaucoma research as described in Glaucoma Physician: Qdata Glaucoma from Verana to Deliver Real-World Insights Into Glaucoma Patient Journey. Another important step forward is the inclusion of millions of ophthalmic images in the American Academy of Ophthalmology (Academy) IRIS® Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight), which was covered in a video interview with Ophthalmology Times and detailed in our blog.
- Neurology: Our blog details the launch of two additions to Neurology Qdata that contribute to the study of rare diseases: Qdata SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) and Qdata MS (Multiple Sclerosis). Making these data sets available for ongoing research was highlighted by Applied Clinical Trials in Verana Health Launches Neurology Qdata; SMA News Today in #AAN2022 – Verana Health Launches Resource to Support SMA Research; and Multiple Sclerosis News Today in QData MS Research Platform Aims for Better Patient Treatment, Care.
- Urology: Qdata Prostate Cancer, the new Urology Qdata module for cancer research, was launched at the American Urological Association Annual Meeting and is detailed in our blog post. Qdata Prostate Cancer enables research into disease progression using key outcomes variables such as Gleason score and PSA level.
From our blog
The Verana Health blog is a helpful resource for context and information from our leaders and experts about the use of RWE to support clinical research on a wide range of topics. Other popular blog posts include:
- Urology Research: How the Utilization of BCG for Nonmuscle Invasive Bladder Cancer Changed During a 2021 Shortage
- Best Practices for Transforming Real-World Data into a Quality Asset for Healthcare
- Accelerating Research into Post-Cataract-Surgery Endophthalmitis
- Elevate Patient Journey Insights with Real-world Data from EHRs
- Verana Health Contributes to FDA Foundation’s COVID-19 RWE Primer
All Verana Health blog posts are available on our website veranahealth.com/blog/.
In addition to the Verana Health blog, our experts are regular contributors to Healio and have published several blog articles in Ocular Surgery News, this year, related to clinical research using IRIS Registry data:
- IRIS Registry helps fill in gaps in data sets
- How the IRIS Registry, Verana Health helped craft research in geographic atrophy
- IRIS Registry Industry Report summarizes highlights of 2021 research
- Comparing unstructured notes within an ophthalmology-specific database
- Real-world Data Insights into Cataract Surgery for Patient Safety and Demographics
We anticipate that 2023 will be another prosperous year for Verana Health and that industry awareness of the company’s accomplishments and expertise will continue to increase through media coverage.